[Bf-committers] Fast Linux/CMake/QtCreator Setup Tutorial

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 02:50:00 CEST 2010

I also use this exact same config and was thinking of doing a video
tutorial on how to set it up because of the high frequency these
questions comes up in IRC. (But waiting for a sound card that actually
works to record my sweet voice)

In the meantime maybe adding some additional info here is good idea:
- You need at least version 1.3 to have code navigation/refactoring tool
- The search box to quickly find a function or a open a file in the
lower left corner is really nice to avoid going through all the source
code directories to find a file.
-You still can build with scons on the command line if you want to but
it is slower.

On a other hand KDevelop 4 works similarly (open the CMakelist.txt as
a project, choose a build dir and your done).

For those who want a competitive analisys:

QTCreator:
Pros
- Lightweight and fast
- CleanUI
- Using Cmake is easy
- Subversion tools for most tasks
- Good integrated debugger
Cons
- Code navigation/refactoring tools works only in opened files and not
the whole scope, (#ifdef also mess things up)
- Inspecting values in the debugger is time consuming

Kdevelop
Pros
- Using Cmake is easy
- Subversion tools for most tasks
- Great integrated debugger which permit inspecting values with just a
mouse over
- Code navigation and refactoring tools almost perfect
Cons
- Slower but still light fast compared to eclipse/netbeans
- Bloated UI

And for Debian users, both QTCreator and KDevelop are in the repositories.