[Bf-committers] The final step that Blender needs to take in order to become fundamentally perfect

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 02:39:38 CEST 2010

I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand me. I asking you to modify
the wiki Competitive Analysis pages with specific suggestions to specific features
of Blender that emulate the best elements of ICE/Houdini. There is
no magic connection between this thread and the wiki. These threads come
and go like the wind, but the wiki stays, and those specific pages is a place
to provide guidance to the devs when they are researching. For example,
you said something about a node-based particle system, so, I would ask
you to edit the Particle Systems page with that idea and links to videos
that explain the Houdini way, so that when a dev does get around to
researching better ways for the Particle System to work, he has that idea
as a reference.

If you're saying that Blender should be just like Houdini in order to be successful
in feature film, then that doesn't make sense to me, because Houdini already
exists, it works, and you might as well just use it if you need to do stuff that
Houdini does well. If anything, then I would say that Blender should not try
to replace a successful package that already works well and has a solid business
model; Blender should be what Houdini isn't, and then the film maker has two
great tools to use thatare complementary and solve the whole problem.
--Roger