[Bf-committers] The final step that Blender needs to take in order to become fundamentally perfect

Muhamad Faizol Abd. Halim faizol.blender at gmail.com
Sun May 9 06:53:56 CEST 2010

Hi all,

 I haven't done any coding in Blender (just simple scripting so far). I have
used both Softimage ICE and Houdini and quite familiar with the procedural
paradigm (visual or textual programming). ICE framework layer is highly
parallelized. Now that the parallelization level is pushed even further with
CUDA/OpenCL, if Blender's core can take this advantage first, then the
operation libraries on top of it can be exposed little by little via node
based UI.

 The latest Softimage release still doesn't have mesh creation operation,
(of which Blender already has), but the kinematic/math libraries exposed via
ICE provides new methods of rigging different from bone based style,
eliminating some old limitations (cycle dependancy, etc).

 If I would have an immediate request, It would be to expose all operations
via Python API so that it's pretty much operates like MEL for Maya or
Python/Jscript in XSI where the user can just copy/paste from the console to
repeat the same operation again.

 Anyway, if others have some opinion to move this idea forward (procedural
via node based operation), I'm interested to join in. Maybe as a start I can
help prepare some materials/documents first.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Faizol Abd. Halim