[Bf-committers] GSoC intentions: non-traditional devices

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 21:34:46 CEST 2010

Hello everyone. I want to work on blender this summer, and of the many
fine ideas listed, "non-traditional devices" interests me the most.
Before writing a proposal, I wanted to ask: who else is interested in
pursuing this? neXyon, I see that one of your proposals is "tablet
blending", but that you have many other interests as well. I'm capable
of doing some of the other ideas, but strongly prefer this one.

I'd like to focus on the Intuos4 and SpaceNavigator, perhaps not
multi-touch. From reading the code, it seems that tablet position,
pressure and tilt are all in place, so is something missing at a
higher level? That tablet's wheel and buttons are interesting, and
could perhaps function as more than keystroke equivalents. I found
several posts over the years about the BF working with 3D Connexion on
SpaceNavigator support, but also found some confusion about plugins
and whether or not these devices work out of the box or need a special
build. Beyond the devices working properly and completely, I would
focus on effective UI for painting and sculpting. I hope there is
enough to do here, so I will have an excuse to buy some devices and
enable blender to get the most out of them. This Graphire tablet has
been begging for replacement!

If you can offer guidance on any of these issues, please let me know.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Significant.bit