[Bf-committers] Preference file changes for Vista/Win7, network installations, and large domain deployments

Harley Acheson hacheson at shawnigan.ca
Tue Mar 30 19:03:22 CEST 2010

Rob,

I’m looking forward to looking at that code.

The long-term goal of the file-loading code should be moving toward
being “path-type agnostic”. Ideally, when users pass a resource location
to Blender it should just do a FileExists and then a FileOpen, without
worrying so much about what it looks like. It is all the sanity-checking in
the current code that keeps unknown schemes from working like UNC,
UNCW, and some types of POSIX-allowed paths.

I’d love to see directory separators and parent directory identifiers defined,
along with reserved characters and reserved names, and that code to
become a lot less hard-coded. This type of clean-up has to happen if we
want to support other cool things such as multi-byte characters in paths,
needed for internationalization.

The current issue at hand though, the simple usage of UNC, has largely been
ignored because for the majority of users (and devs) it is not a problem to
“just map a drive letter”. They are unaware of how big an issue this is on
large network environments.

What we need, you and I, is to find a dev with commit rights that has an
interest in these issues...

Regards, Harley Acheson

Virtual Dogsbody
Info Tech Department