[Bf-committers] gDEBugger GDC Video: Advanced OpenGL, OpenGL ES and OpenCL debugging and profiling using gDEBugger

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 25 00:34:22 CET 2010

Not cheap but very usefull indeed. It is no magic however. You need to
already have experience with OpenGL, The debugger can flag missused or
overused API calls as well as deprecated OpenGL APIs. Several statistics are
reported too. The most usefull output is the OpenGL calls dump per frame.
With instrumentation drivers on the graphics card, it is informative to
watch different counters while the appliaction is running.

That said, this debugger is not a replacement for true application profiler.

The trial version is quite crippled but it can give you a good idea of what
it can do. You can obtain another 7 days trial extension from the company.
For proper evaluation, you will need constant use for several days in order
to fully understand all the tools it includes. No need for special build
versions for your application. The debugger intercept all calls to the
OpenGL driver.

One interresting discovery I made while using this debugger is that all the
OpenGL optimizing tricks that were presented at Siggraph in previous years
do not apply with the new graphics cards. These tricks are oftentime
detrimental to optimizing OpenGL on new GPUs. So take care with old
optimizing advises you will find on the web.

One issue I found with the locked version is that if you want to profile OGL
on different graphics cards, you need to change the graphics card and its
drivers on that locked-on computer. Not an easy proposition. That said, you
can buy 3 locked licence for the price of a floating one.

Also, for the price of that tool, it is not a tool that I constantly use. I
use it for short but intensive profiling periods and then don't use it for
loooong period of times. So if I had to pay for the tool myself (my employer
did), I would think more than twice. Especially given that now that I've
used this profiler, I have a pretty good idea of how I would profile an
OpenGL application without the tool and just by using the instrumentation
drivers for OpenGL and the profiling API that are provided for free by
Nvidia.

I'm not aware of any truely equivalent free software anywhere. There are
some remnents of such free tools from the times of SGI OpenGL but they are
essentialy of no use today.

Yves