[Bf-committers] Blender security paranoia

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 17:30:16 CET 2010

Hey Richard,

I would only want it on if I was running in a secured environment
where no/few new untrusted blend files are ever downloaded, and the feature
is desired/needed. Otherwise, off. If you want/need the feature on, AND you are
practicing unsafe downloading, then you need to practice safe downloading first
before enabling the feature.

You don't implement security at run-time, it is implemented during
development and installation. We have adequate security now; no further measures
are needed. As per previous email, I demonstrated that the pipeline is under
adequate control now. If you control the factory and the pipeline that delivers
the product, product assuranceis guaranteed.

Just to be exact, as it may be a misconception, but Blender is not run by a script.
Blender is run by the OS, which loads a blend file, and then loads the script.
I cannot see a situation where a back-end server admin is running blends/scripts
that have not been tested and verified and under SVN, so auto-run is fine from
a security standpoint, but as I pointed out, bad from a self-documenting,
in-the-clear-what-is-this-command-doing standpoint.

A script can load another blend file, upon which it loses all state.
I think you can then have that blend file auto-execute (if enabled)
yet another script, but I have not and would not do so from a server
operations standpoint. I would simply have the first one quit, and
then invoke the second one via a second command line.
The server-side RPC Blender implementations that
I have writtenall explicitly load a script; auto-run is off.
>From a late-night debugging-why-the-heck-did-my-run-fail standpoint,
instead you want each unique command in the batch/cmd file
invoked separately, and not have this chain of weak links fail
somewhere in the middle. You want to know exactly which command line
and script failed, as each command is logically separate.

If I write a command line that executes a script, i don't need
another option to force execution of the script. I put the command there
in the first place. I told it to execute, by writing the command in the first
place, and by running the batch file...so it should do what I said to.

To use an analogy, If I put the key in the ignition and turn it,
the car should not popup and ask me if I want to start the car.

--Roger