[Bf-committers] Blender security paranoia

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 16:59:44 CET 2010

+1. Perhaps I wasn't clear on just how annoying pop-ups are in general,
and in this case, unnecessary, counter-productive, and obviates the reason for the feature
in the first place. Unless someone can point out a flaw in my logic.

If a user doesn't want to / should not / is not in a position to / is not smart enough to
execute scripts at start-up, they leave the auto-start option unchecked,
(which was pointed out is the default in SVN)
and load the blend file. No popup required, nor desireable.

Mine is off, btw. I think you should enable it, as I mentioned, if you are in a
very controlled and trusted environment. Otherwise, leave it off.

For batch mode, if you want any embedded scripts to run before any -p scripts,
I think you just check auto-start and save the .b.blend.
Otherwise, leave it unchecked. I would, if I was running a server, generally
explicitly invoke each and every script from the command line, rather than just doing a blender blendfile.
Not only would it be confusing to see that as just the command line, it would be a little obscure
from a self-documentation standpoint to see what function/reason (script) was being run.
However, that is individual choice.

 --Roger

Check out my website at www.rogerwickes.com for a good deal on my book and
training course, as well as information about my latest activities. Use coupon
Papasmurf for $15 off!