[Bf-committers] Blender security paranoia

Leif Andersen leif.a.andersen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:27:20 CET 2010

 Meh, even more, there should be a button in the GUI to toggle them all on
and off.

Also, for the record, I disagree with the people who say that if we turn
blender into a fortress, it will only attract people to come and hack it.  I
would say that the people that are attracted to a challenge like that are
the people we would want trying to hack it.  They don't have any real
malicious intent, but are rather just playing games.  Granted, they may do
some damage, but better the small token damage they give us, then the real
damage that the big guys would cause.

I'm not saying that we should lock down blender to the point of usability.
In fact, other than a dialog box whenever someone installs a new script
(which can be turned off if the artist/admin so chooses), I think that any
other security measures should be under the hood, or at least transparent
enough that it doesn't get in the artists way.

~Leif Andersen

My first contribution to the blender community:
http://leifandersen.net/2010/03/23/good-feeling-my-first-slightly-major-open-source-contribution/