[Bf-committers] Interest in GSoC 2010 topics: 1. "Integrate PTex texture mapping library" 2. "Unit tests"

Konrad Wilhelm Kleine konrad at konradwilhelm.de
Wed Mar 24 13:14:29 CET 2010

Hi Brecht,

multiresolution was what I was thinking about, too. And since mesh
resolution has the word "mesh" in it :) I thought it must have something
to do with BMesh.

Concerning "multires sculpting", are you thinking of an adaptive mesh
resolution depending on the sculpting detail or do you think of a
specific increase of the Ptex "texture" file for the faces the artist is
working on?
The way I know blender, it "only" has different "mesh resolutions" for
the whole mesh and not for individual faces, right? Am I mixing things
up here? Probably by "multires sculpting" you meant the ability to use
Ptex with a multires mesh and using appropriate Ptex detail level for
the mesh's current subdivision level, right?

On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense to increase the level of
detail of the whole Ptex file if the mesh resolution is increased. That
would be a waste memory, right?

I have to read the Ptex paper again ;)

@Campbell: I agree, recoding the build system is "all pain no gain" and
it is too much off-topic concerning the development of a 3D application.

Konrad