[Bf-committers] Texture baking proposals

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Tue Mar 23 19:06:08 CET 2010

Hi,

Regarding more options for what to bake, it should just support baking
any render pass, this is not even hard to add.

Having bake layers automates things more but still does not solve the
problem that you can't use the same material for baking and rendering
(or running in the game engine), and so you're constantly switching
between the two or changing textures. A possible solution would be a
bake node, which has a color input and output, and an image. When
baking, this node would read the input and write to the image. When
rendering, it would ignore the input and read from the image.

That's just a rough idea, and integrating it nicely poses a number of
problems .. but ideally you would be able to set something up and then
re-bake the whole scene with a single button press. For example, think
of how normal or displacement map baking could be made simple if you
would just have to set it up in the material and press bake. That's
not covered by a bake node but could be solved in a similar way, by
specifying as part of the material what is baked.

Brecht.