[Bf-committers] ops functions, parameters, and returns

Richard Olsson r at richardolsson.se
Tue Mar 23 09:02:02 CET 2010

With regards to camelCase, I'm not originally a Python programmer and
usually do prefer camelCase as well. But Python will be Python, and
for Python coders the norm seems to be underscores for functions/
methods, so I think it should stay that way.

Cheers
/R

On 23 mar 2010, at 08.36, Campbell Barton wrote:

> [...]
>> commands show in the script log, users would see that the location
>> type is being modified since the UI always places things at the
>> cursor:
>>
>> bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_cube_add(name="MyMesh", view_align=False,
>> enter_editmode=False, placement='CURSOR')
>>
>> Sure, you want users to read the manual and learn how to search for
>> the functions they want, but there are users out there who will
>> surprise you with what they can do with simple copy and pastes.
>
> So far operators have been created from a user standpoint, so you get
> odd results when converting an operator into a python function call.
> Agree with some of your suggestions above however not all.
>
> Operators are a way for python to access user tools, not just a python
> api for all blender functionality.
> So why should you be able to give the name of a new object? (as an
> example), you dont get an option to enter a name as a user so why
> should python?
>
> Python just has to do what the user would do and rename after
> bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_cube_add(....)
> bpy.context.object.name = "MyMesh"
>

> Not saying a name argument is bad per se, just that it doesnt always
> make sense to add arguments when the data api can also modify these
> values after.
>
>>> We could try to make operators behave more like API functions but
>>> this
>>> is not a small task and not what operators were originally
>>> designed to
>>> do. so I think its out of the scope of 2.5 tool refactor.
>>
>> And maybe that's not the way to go.  I mean, it's easy enough to
>> have functions with different kinds of returns, but I understand
>> that it would go against the original design.
>>
>> At the same time, there could be easier methods for common tasks.
>> What those functions need to be are anyone's guess at the moment;
>> I'll keep notes as I go, as should all python coders working with
>> the Alphas.
>>
>>> Different developers wrote operators, mostly to get blender working
>>> again and not having read how all other operators work. When you try
>>> use operators from python you end up finding many problems like
>>> this.
>>
>> Ahh okay, no worries.  Moving forwards it would be nice to make
>> names agree with each other, too.  Things like
>> bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_circle_add
>> bpy.ops.armature.bone_primitive_add should match.  (Although I
>> think that the names should be shortened to addCircle and addBone
>> respectively.)  On a personal note with regards to naming, it'd be
>> *awesome* if the underscores were thrown out for camelCase.
>
> Not going to get into an argument over this one, wasn't my decision
> but Id say we'll stick to underscores.
>
>>> for data creation and removal though we accept that operators are
>>> not
>>> ideal and there are existing functions for this
>>> # Example
>>> arm = bpy.data.armatures.new("MyArmature")
>>> obj = bpy.data.objects.new("MyObject", arm)
>>> scene = bpy.context.scene