[Bf-committers] Addition of WindowManager.invoke_props_dialog()

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 15:37:45 CET 2010

Thanks for the patch, Ill review today.

Discussed this with Ton the other day and he really wants to minimize
the use of this kind of interface, which I agree can become fairly
annoying (popup dialogs everywhere).

However for things like submitting a description to a server or
starting a job that takes a long time I think its a better alternative
to forcing every tool to add a panel which could end up cluttering the
UI for obscure tools or just using blenders undo/redo which can be
annoyingly slow or run the task too many times.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Richard Olsson <r at richardolsson.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been porting a script that existed in 2.49 to 2.5, and realized that
> there might sometimes be a need for operators to open property dialogs, e.g.
> popups that don't execute the operator until the user clicks an "OK" button.
> I discussed what would be a good solution with Campbell and eventually came
> up with this. I've uploaded patch #21680 which adds the
> invoke_props_dialog() python metod, which will open such a popup.
>
> The popup works exactly like the one created by invoke_props_popup() (code
> is very similar) except it also adds an OK button. Instead of executing the
> operator everytime a property changes, it will only execute it once the OK
> button is clicked, at which point it will also close the dialog, and show
> any pending reports.
>

> I'm attaching the patch here as well. I appreciate all comments, as I'm new
> to blender development and very eager to learn and to improve as a
> contributor!
>

> Cheers
> /Richard Olsson

- Campbell