[Bf-committers] Python sandbox

Leif Andersen leif.a.andersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 03:55:49 CET 2010

As sad as it is, it seams like your axiom Jonathan, has been true.
Although, that is based only on empirical evidence, not an actual rigorous
proof.  (i.e., I would die happy if I ever found a way to make a computer be
secure, and work seamlessly).  Some examples of this are the previous emails
in this thread, about people who have had trouble with a locked down python.

I still think though (like the first email in this thread), that it would be
better to keep python separate, but still make sure that it has been
included on the system.  We could also have a script that checks to make
sure it is still the latest version, in an attempt to keep it secure.  If we
include python directly into blender, that would add a severe amount of
overhead to ensure that blender keeps up with the latest build of python,
and even worse, if we customize it with patches, we would have to constantly
repatch it, work that would be better spend fixing bugs/other flaws unique
to blender/adding new features.Than again, on the other hand, we may have to
still do the same thing if we try to customize a separate python build.

Than again, all of this is at a very hand wavy level.  And my arguments seem
to me consist of me waving my arms, and claiming I can fly. :)

Anyway, thank you for the support thus far everyone.

~Leif Andersen

So Much to Learn, Such Little Time
http://leifandersen.net/2010/02/03/so-much-to-learn-such-little-time/