[Bf-committers] Python sandbox

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Mar 18 05:28:35 CET 2010

On 18/03/2010, at 15:09 , §ĥřïñïďĥï Ŗäö wrote:

> Hi,
> This is my very first mail to this list . I am not a developer but I
> thought
> i will put my 2 cents here since I felt that this discussion is a
> waste of
> time for many reasons .
> 1: +100 for Brecth and his opinion (He is perfectly right !!)
> 2: sanboxing blender will make it unusable  in large pipelines where
> we need
> blender to be integrated with other softwares and also need to do a
> lot of
> automatic IO (this includes IO to databases and in  renderfarm too
> which can
> be used for other than just rendering out images )

+1 to this too. Even in 2.4* we had lots of trouble at our studio with
scriptlinks, pydrivers, etc being off by default. We had problems (and
wasted hours of work) when an artist took work home, installed a
default blender from online and worked with that - getting the file
into a state that caused lots of problems when the scripts were
working as intended. This may have happened more than once too, can't
remember. Similar trouble when doing some complicated things and
sending files out to other studios who weren't familiar with Blender
and this particular issue that really doesn't affect them.

Many people who use blender don't download and open files from
strangers on the web, and I would not like to see practical usability
hindered just to try and give people who do the impression of security.

cheers,

Matt