[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [27404] trunk/blender/release/scripts/ presets/render: A number of common rendering presets, looked up and added by Simon Rainerson

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 02:03:38 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Xavier Thomas <xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2010/3/11 Paolo Ciccone <phciccone at gmail.com>
>
> > Xavier, you are talking about a 1440x1080 format with square pixels? If
> so
> > can you point out some cameras and, more important, TV sets that use HD
> at
> > 4:3 ratio?
> >

> Of topic but no i am speeking of 1440x1080 with 4:3 pixel ratio (and 16:9
> display ratio). No sure if TV sets can handle it, but it is scaled to
> 1920x1080 by your blue-ray player or your camcorder before outputing to
> HDMI
>
> My comment was related to you saying "1080i is defined as 1440x1080..."
> which is not true, 1080i is still:
> 1920x1080 frames with 1:1 pixel ratio composed of 2
> 1920x540 fields with 1:1 pixel ratio
>
> OK, bit of misunderstanding, we are saying the same thing. You are correct,
I should have expanded it a bit and say "the signal for 1080i can be
encoded...", which is what happens on most TV Cable shows, and many HD
cameras, like the Sony XDCam. The idea being that you can save a lot of
bandwidth by using non-square pixels. The end result is a 16:9 frame, 1080
resolution. BTW, I don't believe that Blender should be worried about it.
Most compositing systems, like After Effects, can handle mixed resolution so
we should just have presets for 720p and 1080p at square pixels. The rest
can be achieved by playing with the pixel/frame/interlace values.