[Bf-committers] Reference Images Proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:03:49 CET 2010

Update: Discussed over lunch & Ton reckons having image as obdata for
empties is OK, but not adding a new object type.
This can replace background images as suggested earlier.

This can be added regardless of how projection paint ends up working
since being able to place a reference image is important, while it
adds some overhead to have objects for each reference image it also
means we can support them without adding new ways to manage layers,
drawing, hiding, transforming a new data type, copy to another scene
etc.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> I still quite strongly disagree with the idea of adding new Image
> object types, especially when talking about using objects in 3D Space
> for UI functionality (adding more complexity to scenes).
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Example of why this is important is: a often requested feature is to
>> be able to overlay an image in projection paint and use stamp from
>> this image.
>
> I think this stems from the previous hack we've probably seen on vimeo
> where somebody did something very similar to this. But I don't think
> using *background images* specifically is the right solution, it's
> really something more like modifying the placement of your brush
> texture. It's quite a likely use case that you might want reference
> images for modelling something, but you're painting on something quite
> different, i.e. painting on scales on a creature from a photo
> reference. What's really needed is a better, more interactive way of
> positioning and manipulating brush textures.
>
>> Perhaps we keep existing background images but have a way to give then
>> an absolute transformation in 3D space, and have some modal operator
>> (transform or its own operator), for moving them about
>
> This is more like what I would like to see, for both background images
> and other things like brush textures, but not necessarily in the form
> of a modal operator. I haven't had time so far (yay bugs!) but for a
> while I've been wanting to look into and write up a proposal/code for
> a generic manipulator system that works by modifying RNA values, in a
> way similar to the functionality you added for editing lamp properties
> in the View, but graphical and directly manipulatable.
>
> With such a system you could toggle on or off 3D View handles for
> moving/rotating/scaling background images, or brush textures, or
> material texture mapping, or lamp properties (grab the spotlight cone
> directly), or modifier controls (eg. a handle you can drag to control
> the amount of bending in a simple deform modifier), etc. etc..
>
> That way you could have easy access to these properties in the 3D
> View, but not clutter up your actual scene file with helper objects
> that really should be on the UI level.

- Campbell