[Bf-committers] OFF export/import, and N-Gones/B-Mesh

Leif Andersen leif.a.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 05:45:36 CET 2010

First of all, if this is an inappropriate place for this question, I'm
sorry, I'm still a bit new here. :)

Anyway, at the new developers meeting this morning (which was a good
meeting, thank you for it), I was told that it would be a good idea to pick
up on some of blender 2.5's neglected features.  In particular, it was
recomended that I updated the .off importer/exporter file.  I've gotten a
chance to look over the file, and the import file uses quite a hack to get
n-gons into blender.  It seems as if the face is larger than 4 vertices, it
will make a bunch of faces formed out of 3 vertex faces, which while it
looks the same, really is not optimal.  Anyway, I remember seeing all over
the place about blender 2.5 being able to support n-gons, which would mean I
could take out the hack in the importer.  However, looking at the current
version of blender, I don't see n-gon support anywhere.  Am I missing
something, or is it just not put in there yet (only available as an external
module at the moment, or something like that)?  The file that I'm looking at
is off_import.py and off_export.py in the release/script directory.

Again, thank you all very much for your support, and for making such a great
platform from which to work upon.

~Leif Andersen