[Bf-committers] CC0 for bundled boilerplate data?

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Sun Mar 7 00:10:40 CET 2010

Hey all,

I know there was some discussion a while ago about bundling some data
with blender soon, like some boilerplate materials and meshes and etc.
IIRC, from the thread there was something like "expect it to be released
in the public domain or something, but we're not sure what we're going
with quite yet."

If the intention is to go with the public domain, or something of that
sort, might I suggest going with CC0?

http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0

The primary reason for CC0 instead of choosing the public domain in
particular is that the public domain only exists under certain
countries' copyright law (such as the United States), and CC0 is an
attempt to reproduce the public domain internationally, amongst some
other things.  Since Blender is used internationally, I think this is a
worthwhile consideration.

 - cwebb