[Bf-committers] Reference Images Proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 18:28:12 CET 2010

Andy is interested in getting involved. We discussed different
possible projects: modifier, user configurable view angles for numpad,
helping with BMesh and possibly improving background images.

Brecht: can see your point but from a user perspective think it could
be very handy to be able to display reference images, I used to use
textured quads instead of background images quite a lot and it was
fairly annoying.
I ended up forcing wire for the objects I was modeling and then only
having the quads as textured, but it was tedious to setup.

This could be improved but then I think you end up abusing meshes as
reference images! their drawtype needs to override whatever the user
has set for them to be useful, and you end up with having to have UVs
on them and mesh datablocks for every reference.

Having said all this I'm not especially interested in pushing for this
to be added, Andy could be better off working on some other feature
that is less controversial too.

- Campbell