[Bf-committers] Text editor: "tab as space" as default? do we really need to push PEP8 that way?

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 4 23:49:52 CET 2010

Stephen Swaney wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:03:02AM -0800, Dalai Felinto wrote:
>
>> Personally I think it's better (and it's what I'm going to use locally) to
>> have tabs_as_spaces=False for new and open text files.
>> However since people will probably disagree, how about this:
>>
>> to have tabs_as_spaces=True  for new files (text.c::add_empty_text)
>> to have tabs_as_spaces=False for open files (text.c::add_text)
>>
> This seems unnecessarily confusing.

Agreed. And given Blender HAS a default (tabs as spaces) in it's scripts
- it makes more sense to follow that as a default regardless of what
others are doing. Much like one adopts the coding conventions of a
project when they start developing patches & additions to it, as a
developer, I feel conforming to Blender's method of indentation is
reasonable.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt