[Bf-committers] Text editor: "tab as space" as default? do we really need to push PEP8 that way?

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:03:02 CET 2010

Hi there,
do we really need to have "Tab as Space" as the default in Text Editor?

>From revision 26077: "new textblocks have tabs as spaces enabled by default
since this is blenders default."

I really don't want to start a PEP8 discussion here, but simply to give my
opinion on that. Shouldn't the default leads to expected results in oppose
to "what is happening with my tabs"?

Personally I think it's better (and it's what I'm going to use locally) to
have tabs_as_spaces=False for new and open text files.
However since people will probably disagree, how about this:

to have tabs_as_spaces=True  for new files (text.c::add_empty_text)
to have tabs_as_spaces=False for open files (text.c::add_text)

Cheers,
Dalai