[Bf-committers] Blender MIME type

jonathan d p ferguson jdpf.plus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:29:12 CET 2010

hi.

All:

Excellent work on 2.5!

Does Blender have an official IANA MIME type? I cannot seem to find
one (looking on my Debian systems in /etc/mime.types and at IANA: http://www.iana.org/)
. As web sharing of blender files becomes more common, perhaps a
default for servers would be a good idea. zoyd on IRC, helped me
uncover the fact that freedesktop.org maintains a shared-mime
database: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/shared-mime-info-spec#SharedMIMEdatabasepackage
  in the database file "freedesktop.org.xml" with entries for blender
as:

   <mime-type type="application/x-blender">
     <comment>Blender scene</comment>

<snip>Translation info</snip>

     <generic-icon name="image-x-generic"/>
     <glob pattern="*.blender"/>
     <glob pattern="*.blend"/>
     <glob pattern="*.BLEND"/>
     <magic priority="50">
       <match value="BLENDER" type="string" offset="0"/>
     </magic>
   </mime-type>

I suggest that an official IANA blender MIME type would be helpful as
the sharing of blender files increases, not having to configure a
server to handle the blender MIME type, for example, might be handy---
as clicking on a .blend file will presumably, "just work."  In the
past I have configured blender as a binary for MIME (similar to that
above).

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the process or requirements
for securing an official IANA MIME type, but seeing as blender has a
large user-base, perhaps it would be nice to be all official about
registering the .blend file type with IANA.

A designated representative of Blender Foundation may register by
following the instructions/RFCs at:

http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl

Thoughts?

have a day.yad