[Bf-committers] Some design questions on particle emission

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 28 16:58:43 CEST 2010

That's not the real problem here :)
If this was only about animating the emission rate your idea might
work (though there are better ways to do numerical integration). The
issue here is that there is _no_way_ to know the total amount of
particles as soon as customized emission events come into play.
Say, for example, a node spawns new particles when it collides with an
object. How would you determine the number of colliding particles and
therefore new particles spawned in advance?

However, after some discussion on IRC we decided it's probably best to
not invest much more time in recreating features of the current
particle systems, but instead work on a design for more flexible
node-based particles now.