[Bf-committers] VSE redesign problem

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:28:11 CEST 2010

I filed this as a bug report and found out it was a feature, so I am
bringing it up here.

In 2.4 when you add a video clip it pops back from the file screen to
the strip screen with the clip attached to the mouse and then you move
the mouse to the right place with a popup massage telling you your
current location and then click to put it down. This system has always
worked well for me. Perhaps others had problems with this? I do not
know.

The new system takes the location of the mouse at the time of clicking
the add menu or shift A (which ends up being at about frame 40 to 50
in most cases) and puts the clip there. The idea being to position the
mouse on the correct place and press shift-A so that you end up on the
right spot. There are problems with this. First a newbie will not know
this, I thought it was a bug. Second you have no way to know what
frame the mouse is on, so you can only get close if the screen
magnification is bad. Third, if you use the menus you have no way to
control where the cursor is at. You can also say where to put the clip
in the file dialog (something I missed before I was told, who would
think it would be there?) but this is bad work flow.

I think we should go back to the 2.4 way.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massagen Arbeit in Gelsenkirchen Buer