[Bf-committers] unlimited clay - Arch questions

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 20:49:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

I think here neither the Mesh data structure nor EditMesh data
structure is exactly what you want. Exactly the structure that you do
want is a little harder to say of course :) Depends on how the mesh is
being subdivided by unlimited clay.

Anyways, it occurs to me you might want to consider writing your own
DerivedMesh variant. Internal to your DerivedMesh, you can set up
whatever data structure you find most helpful to accelerate your
subdivision algorithm. Whenever the DerivedMesh is free'd, you can
write out the changes to the real Mesh. You can also extend the PBVH
with support for this new DerivedMesh type.

The above is actually exactly how we do multires, which internally
uses a quite different representation than a regular Mesh. In this way
you can bypass editmesh entirely, while also avoiding hacking on your
own changes to Mesh, which from my own experience is a Bad Idea. :)

-Nicholas