[Bf-committers] Sculpt Status - Week 3

Charles Wardlaw cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com
Sun Jun 13 06:47:07 CEST 2010

Hi Jason,

I remember seeing a request for people to speak up about speed in your branch.  I just did a quick test on 1.5 million polygons in a multires mesh-- The speed is so good now that I don't find myself dropping into lower resolutions to do my edits.  (I'm on a Macbook Pro i7 with an NVidia 330m.)  Even with a brush that covers a large area, everything but the Smooth brush feels great.  The only part of it all that feels slower is the resizing of the brush.  Might be my imagination, but it feels much slower.  Not a big deal, and doesn't get in the way of usability.

The scrape brush is my new favorite toy.  I'm also absolutely in love with the on-surface cursor, although it shifts to the side when you use the grab brush.  It also resizes sometimes across a surface-- while scraping, I sometimes see it shrink as I go from place to place. I think it's only cosmetic, though-- it doesn't seem to behave any differently.  The fill brush also works quite well.

I'd like to make one suggestion, in the "if you have time" box.  One thing 3D Coat does that's very nice is that it allows the user to reset the camera pivot position to somewhere on the mesh-- this way you can rotate around a place that makes sense regardless of how far you are from where you started.  This would be very nice to have while sculpting in Blender.  Press a key and wherever the mouse is hovering on the mesh is the new camera pivot point.  It's possible this is already an operator somewhere (if it is I'm sure someone will politely correct me), but if not, I hope you or some other interested party could add it in.

~ Charles