[Bf-committers] libraries and release tagging

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 6 02:41:18 CEST 2010

Martin Poirier wrote:
> Even if the libs themselves aren't tagged, anyone who wants to build a past release can just do a checkout of the lib tree with the revision matching the release tag.
>
> Look there [1], you can easily see what revision matches each release, than you can just do
>
> svn checkout --revision <NUMBER> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib
>
> [1] http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/tags/?root=bf-blender
>
> I really don't feel like a tag is needed, to be honest.

A tag isn't necessarily needed once you know the revision of a release
either - we still do that for the convenience of developers who want to
build an old release without knowing every step of the development history.

If it is possible, I think tagging the library revisions with the
appropriate label is a small effort that has no ongoing issues affecting
the current/future development of Blender. Not doing it (provided it is
possible) would come across as just being stubborn for no fixed benefit.
-*shrug*-

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt