[Bf-committers] introduction

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:12:15 CEST 2010

Hi Ian,

* re: compiler warnings, I compile with CMake on linux which uses:
 -Wall -Wno-char-subscripts -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-unknown-pragmas
-Wno-char-subscripts

This removes warnings which in my experience can be ignored, a few
times I tried to get blender to build with less warnings (when
omitting some of the flags above), but found it mostly useless.
There are libraries like bullet which is really an external project so
we try not to modify its source, and other cases in the game engine
where there is no easy way to fix the warning.
So even if you get 1000's of warnings (with only -Wall for instance),
I have found its not that easy to simply go in and 'fix' many of them.

I've run blenders code through cppcheck, splint, clangs error checker.
We also had coverity run scans on blenders source though that was on
2.4x a while ago.

nevertheless, fix warnings you find when building blender is a fine
place  to start.

* re: memory management.
We have guarded alloc, which can help track leaks based on a string ID
for each alloc, however it could be interesting to replace the
allocator.
AFAIK the only thing which makes this tricky MEM_allocN_len() which
returns the length of allocated memory. this is only used in a few
places so I think its use could be removed and we could swap out
guarded alloc altogether, for testing/benchmarking.

* re: plugin system. really important to get this right for 2.5, have
discussed with Brecht and Ton a little, research in this area is
useful but not sure its a good first project since we need to consider
how the rna api might fit in with texture, sequencer plugins and
possible compositor and shader plugins too.

Of your suggestions I think parallel code is a good place to start if
you have experience with this in previous projects.
You could take some area of blender which is self contained and
optimize it without having to understand lots of different parts of
blender at once.

I haven't used GIT yet though I'd like to try, however I'm not sure
we're developing at a scale where subversion limits us in the way it
would the linux kernel for eg.

- Campbell

- Campbell