[Bf-committers] Arbitrary materials for mesh display in viewport (solid view)

Gustav Göransson gustav.goransson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:37:20 CEST 2010

It might make things clearer, but I think one have to take a step back
and see what is good from a user perspective

Right now blender shows textures assigned in the UV/image editor NOT
actual textures that are assigned to the material that will show up
when rendering. I think this behavior is a rather stupid and very
confusing. It gives you no feedback on how your material maps to your
object without actually hit render, unless you actually in edit mode
selects all faces of you object -> open the image/UV editor and open
the texture. It would be a lot nicer if you blender displayed the
textures of object's material instead. One could also add a display
color to all object which specify the color the object have in solid
mode. This would also solve malefico's problem.

Then we could have following viewport modes:
1. Texture + Shading: Mimic how the object would look like rendered
(basically what GLSL + textured mode does now)
2. Texture: Show textures of the material assign to object.
3  Solid: Show the display color of the objects.
4. Wireframe: Show wireframe.
5.Bounding box: Show Bounding box.

In addition to this you can have object specific settings and option
in Image/UV editor to override the viewport modes...