[Bf-committers] 5.1 surround sound in Blender?

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 17:33:23 CEST 2010

I started thinking about what this might look like in 2.7.
Just as light raytraces and interference patterns and caustics are seen
and emerge, so does sound.

You would need a sound emitter panel for an object
to load the sound file, with start/end frame and loop options

You would need a sound reflection panel for an object
to define the reflection frequency curve (what isnt reflected
is absorbed). With presets this allows you to simulate whatever.

3D View would enable a loudspeaker icon to hover over the object to let you
know that an object is broadcasting a sound

Then a new type of object: microphone with appropriate icon of course
with a panel to set that microphone to pick up sounds for a channel
with a frequency response curve and level response curve, with presets
of course to simulate condenser, lavalier, shotgun, and cardoid.
It has a direction and cone, very similar to spot lamp settings.
A mic could feed one or more channels at certain levels; e.g. a mic in front
of the main actor would feed L and R channels evenly to overcome the
mono -> stereo issue

A standard library rig for 2 channel camera-mounted forward, 2-channel max separation,
and 5.2 channel camera mounted, and 5.2 set mounted. You could for example
parent the mic object to a character to simulate a wireless lav.

To "render" all this, you would need a wave-broadcasting algorithim, which i guess
is similar to a raytracer, to figure out what frequency and level is being sampled
at that particular time, at 44.1 or 48 khz.

 --Roger, not holding my breath.