[Bf-committers] Arbitrary materials for mesh display in viewport (solid view)

Gustav Göransson gustav.goransson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:10:04 CEST 2010

The displaying of models/textures in the viewport might be the most
confusing area in Blender (After five years of using blender I'm still
not sure if I get it...).

Right now we have:

1. Viewport Shading (Textured, Solid, Wire, Bounding Box).
2. Shading setting in the n-panel (GLSL, Multitexture, Textureface) +
Texture solid.
3. Display settings for each object (Texture, solid ,xray etc.).

To this add how blender shows texture loaded in Image/UV editor that
PapaSmurf mentions... and not to mention procedural textures...

In my opinion blender need to be a lot clearer on what are displayed
in the viewport and which setting that overrides others before
introducing more viewport features....