[Bf-committers] Arbitrary materials for mesh display in viewport (solid view)

malefico at licuadorastudio.com malefico at licuadorastudio.com
Wed Jun 2 01:16:37 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

Since some time to this part I have been struggling with mesh visibility
in viewport. Now that the use of Node Materials is widely spread, it is
common situation that meshes are hard to see: for instance animating
Sintel, it depends on which node was left active in the library file, you
could see her face completely black, grey or orange.

Dark colours are hard to see when animating facial features or checking
deformations for instance and since usually the animator does not have
access to linked characters materials (eg: to set active a brighter
colour) it is a rather uncomfortable situation.

At the studio we think that it would be better (for instance) to let the
user assign an arbitrary solid colour for the mesh in solid view instead
of showing the particular active material node.

I thought about bringing this subject to discussion to see other people
thoughts about this.

Best regards

malefico.