[Bf-committers] Advice on fixing bad merges (Shaders GSoC)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:41:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> I'm looking for a bit of advice. A couple of days ago, my mentor and I
> realized that some of the merges earlier in the project were done poorly,
> which is now starting to cause some issues. I'm thinking the best way to
> resolve this is to diff against the trunk and clean up the resulting diff to
> only have my changes. Then, from there, rebranch from trunk and apply the
> diff to the new branch. Thoughts on this?
>
> Also, another thing to consider: I believe newer versions of SVN are much
> better at merging. For example, I don't think a revision range needs to be
> specified (this is where problems showed up in my branch). I know there was
> some talk about upgrading to a newer version of Subversion (1.4.3 is quite
> ancient). Is anything happening to this end?
>
> Thank you,
> Mitchell Stokes (Moguri)

When SVN goes bad on me I tend to try fix it manually (not sure this
is ideal but it works).
Using some directory diffing tool you can copy many changes at once
between source code repo's.

This works OK but it does get annoying if files need to be added too
since you'll need to go over and do svn add's on these manually or
based on some shell trick.
eg:
# svn add `grep ^?`
Just take care not to add pyc files though.

--
- Campbell