[Bf-committers] A Couple Feature Requests

Nate Wiebe nate___wiebe at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:35:04 CEST 2010

A couple of things that would be nice to see is the ability to easily
move along the normal when grabbing. Perhaps while grabbing press N.
Currently when you extrude it will extrude along the normal, and you can
 use the 3D manipulators to move along the normal, but it would be much
faster to be able to constrain to the normal while grabbing.

Secondly,
 it would be great to use other unit systems in the transform toolbar
while in edit mode. Currently when using imperial and metric, you can
use that unit system throughout blender, but if I want a specific vertex
 at say (1in, 3in, 2in) I can't set it there when looking at the
transform tool in the toolbar (N key). Right now there is no good way to
 do this.

Lastly, this one isn't as critical as I think the two
above are, is to do with the Video Sequence Editor. I work with 60fps
video very frequently and export at 24fps. When I import a video, the
video strip is 2.5 times longer than the audio strip. And every single
video strip, I have to use the speed control plugin. This wastes an
extra layer per video clip, as well as makes the strips longer than they
 should be, not to mention makes it very messy. It would be very nice to
 move the speed control plugin to the strip properties bar (N key) as
well as make the strip dynamically change length depending on how many
frames the final speed would take up. It would also be nice to have an
option for it to automatically figure out the correct speed since most,
if not all, videos have the fps in the metadata. It would be a simple
calculation (InFPS / OutFPS). This would make it easier to have the
correct video speed, would help clean things up, save layers and space,
and would still be animate-able using keyframes.

Those are a few ideas that I think would be a huge benefit and would help make life a bit easier.

-NateW