[Bf-committers] Color Balance & Color wheel issue

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 04:43:18 CEST 2010

Hi, replying to the original mail inline...

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've been trying to play with Color Balance since the new changes, but I
> believe a few things are acting weird (or at least differently than Magic
> Bullet Looks (MBL), and as I read it is supposed to behave more likely. Also
> a few issues with the Color wheel.
>

> First of all the Color Wheel :
> - it is really jerky (not smooth)
do you mean it moves to fast? (I was using 1/10th by default but
brecht and ton didnt like this), This could also be because big
calculations are going on as the color is changing (threaded UI of
some sort could solve too but probably not happening any time soon)

> - the brightness sidebar is affected (doesn't do that in MBL)
Agree, we could correct the UI to compensate for this.
Sidebar changing, for gain & gamma (not lift), MBL keeps the color's
combine magnitude but your right that it doesn't move the value bar.
Keeping the magnitude gives good results IMHO, it allows changing the
color without darkening the image. So we could have this bar show the
combine value of RGB and it would behave as you'd expect. but I dont
see this as highly important either.

> - brightness only go up to 2 (I believe MBL is 10)
This is very easy to change, I didnt get useful results with values
above 2 so I set this, but if there is some example of how its useful
we could change.

> - cubic color selection is something good, but since the second modification
> to it, it does feel less natural
See what you mean, the precision is kept high in the middle rather
then moved to the location of the mouse click. (indecently float
buttons in 2.4x had higer precision around the initial location), I'd
not be against this different behavior but just see this as a
different way to get higher accuracy when selecting color.
Having the precision in the middle is mainly because you often want to
selected a subtle shade of white.

> - releasing the color wheel do not move the mouse to the new position, which
> make fine tuning from this release point very hard
> but I must say the finest selection with SHIFT is awesome :)
Agree, this could be added, however with subpixel precision the second
click would be different, unless you add compensation eg: <1 pixel
float xy offset which is re-applied on top of the mouse location.
Would be a nice touch, again not high priority for me now.

> for the Color Balance part, I don't quite understand what as been change? I
> did some test before with the exact same value on both side (AE MBL &
> Blender's Color Balance) and I had the exact same result. As far as I was
> setting both with the same Color space environment (linear or non-linear).
> I didn't push the test as far as before, but it doesn't feel the same, I
> can't quite understand what it is yet but it's feeling funny. Am I the only
> one having this sensation ?

The change I made was with lift, it was being added, now its like an
inverted gain (scales color around white), with some subtle changes
for values above 1.0 (like MBL, which tends to give more useful
results, adding was clipping and looked ugly)

> cheers
>

> --

- Campbell