[Bf-committers] Color Balance & Color wheel issue

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:49:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

FYI here is what I asked to Stu Maschwitz (colorista guy) on twitter :

"- @5tu <http://twitter.com/5tu> is there a reason why Lift in colorista is
crunching pretty fast w/ linear enable in AE ?
- @francoisgfx Yes, lift will crunch hard in linear. Colorista is designed
to work on gamma-encoded images."

As Sebastian König point out on twitter through this screenshot (
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/s/ex9ec02gnil4vz0/color-management-woes.jpg),
when gamma corrected the Color Balance behave correctly. Which make since
since Stu says L/G/G is design to work in non-linear space and that
Sebastian operation in CM mode bring the input back to non-linear.

The question is shouldn't we do gamma correction in CB node in case CM is
active ? I'm not sure what repercussion it could have on inputs and stuff.
The idea would be to reproduce the setup Sebastian did directly in the code
in case of CM otherwise leave it as it is.
Maybe that's what your modification does Campbell because I'm not sure
Sebastian where using the last build, but I still don't have the same value
in both case (CM & not CM).

Cheers,

François,