[Bf-committers] Proposal: renaming Head/Tail into Root/Tip in armatures

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:59:18 CEST 2010

Hi,

since new documentation for rigging, constraints, and animation is going
to be put in the manual, sometimes ago in #blenderwiki we were talking
about rigging naming conventions (how to call bone ends) and after some
debate we ended up asking opinions in #blendercoders too.

It seemed that all the present people agreed (including Ton) that it
makes more sense that a bone has a "root" and a "tip" rather than a
"head" and a "tail", because chains can go upward (spine) or downward
(legs) hence the concept of the tail being higher that the head seemed
weird.

The Blender Summer of Documentation tutorials use "root" and "tip" too,
for example, see
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Animation/Armatures/BSoD/The_Armature_Object#Armature_Edit_Mode

The new docs would use root and tip too: see the upcoming
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc_talk:Manual/Rigging/Armatures/Bones#Bones

What's the general idea about change from "Head" and "Tail" to "Root"
and "Tip" in the UI and in the API?

Regards,
Luca