[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5x beta status

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:26:15 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM, W. Scott Meador <ws_meador at yahoo.com>wrote:
>> Different topic - would love to see Blender package its libraries on Linux
>> the
>> way it does for OSX.
> Anything but that, just link them statically.

Before release Id really like to apply RNA edits.
At the moment I think Brecht and myself really need to finish this off
but we're also fairly busy.

Changing these will break scripts of course but animations too (if
these rna values happen to be animated).

Currently these are WIP.

Even if we finish off this list we need to apply the changes and I
have to write a script to apply fixes to existing files.

So I think its important to do this before the beta, however we have a
lot to do before Sintel Showing on Monday, (July, 18th), and I return
home on the 20th so will need a day or so to recover :).

Here are some ways we could deal with this...
1) Try really hard to finish and apply the changes before siggraph
(not sure we can manage this)

2) Delay Beta 2 weeks (early August?)

3) Release Beta but without these changes, include disclaimer that
animations will need manual updating and release a second beta in 2-4
  IMHO this is the most reasonable things to do, since this also gives
us some time to fix some of the most obvious bugs that are normally
after an update which includes many changes.

4) Release Alpha 3 (Ton disagrees but including for completeness,
practically similar 3.)

5) Don't make any changes, postpone for 2.6??? (including for
completeness, highly stupid IMHO)

Would suggest try 1) fallback to 2/3

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list