[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5x beta status

William Reynish billrey at me.com
Wed Jul 14 03:32:52 CEST 2010

Hi Damien,

This mail is really an aside for Mac installation. I would vouch for not using disc images for distributing apps. Even though it's quite common in the Mac applications community I think it's best to avoid it. This article by UX designer Lukas Mathis explains precisely why one should refrain from using this format:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/07/24/installing-applications-on-the-mac-still-broken/

It's backed up by this other article by Joe Lion: http://joelion.com/2009/07/mac-app-installation/ and also the Firefox team at Mozilla: http://limi.net/articles/improving-the-mac-installer-for-firefox/

I think zip is much simpler to understand and manage for the user, it's also faster too (no need to mount, drag-to-apps, unmount).

Cheers,

-William