[Bf-committers] Proposal to Remove Features

Doug Ollivier doug at flipdesign.co.nz
Sat Jul 10 06:45:37 CEST 2010

> * Environment Map
> Still very useful in some situations, we were still using it in production work at promotion. Would not like to see this go.

I also use this one heaps,  Can some of these features be put in the
"fix, not remove" basket.  ENV maps are fantastic to create a clean
metal / gloss studio style reflections for product concepts, where a
real reflection would create visual confusion.  If the format is the
issue perhaps it could be replaced with an ANG-map or panorama style
render rather than the current 6 sided cube system, which would allow
for the same format image to be easily applied to the environmental
background as well as the object rather than having 3 ways to achieve
the same result.

I don't know if the Reflection coordinates mapping option is limited to
ENV maps or not, so perhaps the generation of ENV maps could be removed
without effecting many people.  I would rarely use an animated ENV map.

Doug Ollivier