[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [30031] trunk/blender/source/blender/ blenkernel: Revert revision 29735:

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Tue Jul 6 15:59:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Question mostly addressed to Brecht, but maybe somebody else could
> explain me why motherball's scale should have such behaviour
>
> Avoiding out of memory error wasn't the main reason of making polygins
> size independent from motherball scale: why metasurface is changing when
> i'm scaling one of metaballs but not changing when i'm scaling anothers.
> Maybe it's established behaviour of metaballs for artsis, but i haven't
> heard about motherballs before finding out how mballs works in Blender,
> so such behaviour confused me. And also the behaviour confused Matt Ebb.

The concept of a motherball is part of the design. I'm not saying it's
great, but it also affects other things besides this scaling. If you
want to change that you should talk about this with metaball
maintainers (Jiri and Ton), it's not something that should be done as
part of a bugfix.

> And not sure which type of instanciating you're talking about. This
> behaviour is totally unusable for particle systems, i.e.

The change broke working metaball + particle system setups here, which
is why I looked into it. Can you explain why it is unusable?

Thanks,
Brecht.