[Bf-committers] Improvements to shaders

George Steel george.steel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 19:38:29 CET 2010

I have attempted to make some improvements to blenders shaders.

First, I have added a full Cook-Torrance shader.  This is a highly
flexible shading model controlled by IOR and RMS (both parameters
already exist for the Blinn and WardIso shader).

Also, I have corrected a long-standing typo in fresnel_fac.  It
attempted to use a modified version of Schlick's approximation but had
a wrong sign which I have corrected.  It is now much easier to control
and I have updated the tooltips in the RNA to match the correction.

My patch is available at [http://www.pasteall.org/11350/diff]

Also I am interested in the new render ideas at
[http://durian.blender.org/development/render-development-plans/],
[http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/ShadingSystem], and
[http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brecht/RenderIdeas]. Would
this be a potential topic for a GSOC project?  If so I would be
interested in taking it on.

Thanks,
George Steel