[Bf-committers] Mirror and array modifiers for curves

Elia Sarti vekoon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 20:55:01 CET 2010

Ideally it would be nice to take this even further with "Cast To"
modifiers. For instance a "Cast To Curve" that you can put to Font
objects and a "Cast To Mesh" that you can put on Curve objects. This way
you could put any modifier you want on text, but still be able to edit
the text itself.
Although in theory this works I'm pretty sure there are big technical
barriers for making this possible.
The reason to use "Cast To" modifiers instead of doing this
transparently is so that the user sees where the casting point is
exactly and does not try for e.g. to put a curve-only modifier after
mesh modifiers in the stack.

Sergey I. Sharybin wrote, on 02/21/2010 07:05 PM:
> Why should we force the user to add this modifier himself? We could
> create derived mesh automatically (when it's become neccessary) and make
> mirroring (for example) absolutely transparent for user.
>
> Bassam Kurdali wrote:
>
>> Is there a possible forth option; create a 'meshify' modifier for curves
>> and or surfaces, which results in a derived mesh structure; then you can
>> place any mesh modifier on top of the stack?
>> note: this will not affect the control points of the curve/surface, just
>> the resultant surface.
>>
>> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 22:45 +0500, Sergey I. Sharybin wrote:
>>

>>> no final decision yet..
>>>
>>> There is list of possible ways of implementation constructive modifiers
>>> for curves:
>>>
>>> 1. Automatically creation of DerivedMesh before applying constructive
>>> modifier in makeDispListCurveTypes() sequence (and makeDispListSurf()
>>> for surfaces).
>>> 2. Implement modifiers which will affect on DispList data