[Bf-committers] Keyboard Shortcuts

Rick Yorgason rick at firefang.com
Sat Feb 20 16:05:01 CET 2010

So Alpha 1 is out, and things are getting pretty exciting.  I've
noticed, though, that Reynish's suggested default input bindings
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/UI/Keyboard_Layouts>
haven't been implemented yet.  They seem like great suggestions, so I
was just curious, is that still in the cards?

I'd also like to make a suggestion.  Blender 2.5 has that wonderful new
quad-view which locks the top, front, and right axes.  This is great,
because in 2.49 I spent half my time accidentally rotating my views and
resetting them.

However, this also means that, most of the time, the middle-mouse button
doesn't do anything without a keyboard modifier.  It would be more
efficient if the unmodified middle mouse button was used to pan.
There's also a lot of precedence for this behaviour, such as in Gimp and
Inkscape, which would make it easier to adapt when using multiple programs.

Luckily I can configure Blender to act this way now, which is great, but
I do think Reynish's ambition to improve the default bindings is a noble
one.

Cheers,

-Rick-