[Bf-committers] Script Xtras (proposal)

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sun Feb 14 12:54:10 CET 2010

Hi Campbell,

--- On Sat, 2/13/10, Campbell Barton wrote:

> So I propose we have a directory where scripts are not
> loaded
> automatically, rather users can enable them in the
> userprefs under a
> `Plugins` section.
> Each item can include the scripts description and have a
> checkbox to enable.
>
> This means we don't need to exclude scripts because only
> SOME people
> find it useful, and we can keep the default UI from
> becoming too
> cluttered.

[snip]

> name isn't that important but we could have these scripts
> be in
> "release/scripts/xtras" or similar.

It would be nice if we can follow the convention we agreed with Jesterking for
the wiki, that is to call Plugins and Scripts as "Extensions".
In wiki, manual pages, scripts/plugins developing pages, and catalog pages will
be linked by the term "extensions", like this

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Extensions/Python
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Py/Scripts

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Extensions/Plugins
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Plugins
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Plugins

So I suggest to put in the prefs a tab called "Extensions" :)

----

Also, this summer Nathan has started a "bf-extensions" svn to keep track of all
the 2.4 scripts that were in the big Catalog that meta-androcto has compiled.

So now we have
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/

That svn is linked to a project/tracker here
http://projects.blender.org/projects/bf-extensions

In there we made a distinction among:

- "external" scripts (upload tracker)
	scripts that people can contribute, not yet in the svn
- "contrib" scripts
	scripts not ready for release but worth to distribute in bf-extensions svn for
	widespread testing: if they are well maintained they will go in the next release
- "trunk" script
	"trunk" is a svn naming convention, these should be called "release scripts"

The suggested workflow for sharing extensions is explained here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Extensions/Sharing

So it would be nice to have some integration and similarities with the svn,
like using:

.blender/
	2.5/
		plugins/
			external/
			contrib/
			release/
		scripts/
			external/
			contrib/
			release/

or like

.blender/
	2.5/
		my/
			plugins/
			scripts/
		release/
			plugins/
			scripts/

The folders that could be overwritten automatically would be the "release" ones of course.

Regards, Luca

http://www.mindrones.com