[Bf-committers] new flow noise turbulence feature

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 10:34:27 CET 2010

I made a new texture type for this noise function now, so one can
easily use it in other places. Integrating into the cloud texture was
my first thought, due to the similarity to the static noise functions,
but adding it as another texture type is the cleaner solution.
Also found a couple of bugs that were fixed, so this is now quite usable.
Little test video demonstrating the rotation feature (no advection):
http://vimeo.com/9439250
(You may notice some kind of streak along the diagonal, this
regularity should not appear in a noise texture of course and must be
considered another bug)

>  One minor issue i had was that
>> apparently extrapolation modes for f-curves are not yet implemented
>> (confirm?), so that animating a continuously changing flow rotation is
>> a bit nasty.
>> Hope you like this and it can be included into svn.
>>
>> Regards
>> phonybone
>>

> This is not entirely true. There are extrapolation modes for the curves -
> constant (i.e. use values at endpoints), linear (i.e. linear interpolation
> of the segments of the curve near the endpoints).
>
> However, what you're probably referring to are the old "cyclic" options,
> which are now F-Modifiers. With the F-Curves selected in the Graph Editor,
> you can add F-Modifiers to those F-Curves. This currently cannot be done in
> the DopeSheet, but may be able to be supported in future (it's just a matter
> of adding another operator).

I am still not much further here. After a few svn updates i found that
now i don't even get f-curves for most animated values :(  Some still
work, like object transforms, but a lot of properties don't even show
up in the editor any more when animated. Maybe i am overlooking
something simple, but so far nobody could explain this to me.

Regards
phonybone