[Bf-committers] Extrude Popup

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:26:40 CET 2010

I forgot to reply to this earlier. I feel it's important to be addressed as it contains some important issues that will need correcting.

--- On Sat, 2/13/10, Charles Wardlaw <cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com> wrote:

> Here's a video of what I feel are errors or omissions:
> http://www.sugarandcyanide.com/video/edge-reply.mov

The first part (up to approx 0:40) deals with inconsistencies between the extrude menu and the operator assigned to EKey. Revision 26875 should deal with that.

The second part is caused by changing the Extrude Type in the Operator Redo panel. This parameter is part of the generic extrude operator which is used by all extrude macros. The problem is that this properties is hardcoded as a specific value in all of the extrude macros, it shouldn't be modifiable because the transform operator that follows generic extrude in the macro often is either specific to an extrude type (Shrink/Fatten follows Individual Faces) or has properties specific to the context (along normals).

This is already done when generating the operators from the operator type, the properties defined in the macro overwrite whatever properties are set in the keymap or by user if called in Python. This measure is not applicable to the redo system though, so we'll need to think of something for that case. Preferably, I'd like the properties defined in a macro to be visible but read only (visible because it can help the user understand what's happening and read only because they are hardcoded in the macro for a reason).

One of the inconveniences highlighted (some types not being available all the time) is caused by that enum being context sensitive, which might not work correctly all the time (pretty sure it's specific to how that particular enum was coded).

Thanks Charles for taking the time to make that video and write up on the different problems.

Martin