[Bf-committers] Extrude Popup

Matt. D. matdml at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:34:54 CET 2010

Althought i welcome the changes made by Martin because every change in
this area is welcome, showing you care about usability, but i think those
nagging pop-ups should be handled in a different way.
Trying to be smart about what to do based on the users selection and mode
the user is working in will just not work for different workflows.
While modeling there is very little chance that you want to
extrude/delete/merge in an other way then the last time you did. For
example, if i model a head. I am virtually always extruding in vertex
select mode, i am virtually always deleting verts only when i delete
something, and i virtually always merge at center because i do organic
modeling at that time. This is the 'workflow' i am in. But if i where to
model a building e.g. doing architectural modeling i may need the merge
tool to do a merge at first/last to keep my walls symmetric, unless i am
Guggenheim or some other artsy-fartsy architect :). You CAN NOT be smart
about what i want to model! What my workflow is! Therefore i propose that
those pop-ups be just the selectors of the mode i want the tool to operate
in and the tool will always do the same action until i change to a
different task in my workflow. Imagine a carpenter is done cutting his
wood and now does some miter work using the same tool but in a different
way. He would never change the setup of his saw between cuting/mitering
for each peace he produces. Those tool mode changing pop-ups should be
invoked with a modifier-key (Shift-E, Shift-M, Shift-Backspace, ...).