[Bf-committers] Surface Simplifier / Mesh Reducer well under way :)

Jaevixa McNomera jjv.mnr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:18:52 CET 2010

I don't have anything forced for the output right now. It'd be a good bit of
extra code to do that with an edge collapsing algorithm like I'm currently
using. It you were to take a mesh with ngons of 6 edges each, and simplify
it just a little, you'd get a lot of ngons back out too. I'm not FORCING
triangles, but in almost all cases I've tested going from say 200k >> 5k
will almost always fit best by using tris.

I believe Joeedh mentioned last night on #blendercoders that there is a
system in place in blender to convert tris >> quads already, and you could
run the output of the simplifier through that if need be.

That being said, I did have a brand new idea for a radically different
approach to surface simplification that would allow the user to specify what
type of output mesh they wanted. It's completely different than the approach
I'm currently taking however, and would require a complete re-write of the
whole thing... so I'm not doing it for right now :)